Sunday, June 22, 2008

Lest We Forget

"The CPS worker standing in front of me started coaxing my boys to her. I could see we had no choice. Her eyes met mine. I can not judge her heart, but she had a certain look in her eyes. I’m sure the look in my eyes said, “HELP!”

"Parley turned to me; he was done with this CPS business. He said, “I’m not staying out here. I’m coming back there with you.” This was not a joke any more to him. I said to him quietly, “Par, let’s just be peaceful.” He stated again that he was not staying with them. I said, “Par, if we cooperate, these people will help us get back home.” He stated it again. By now these people were out of patience with us. I looked at Parley and said, “Parley, I’ll be right back out to get you boys.” They herded me away. Any child that tried to follow, they herded in the opposite direction. The supervisor said to the children, “Come on, y’all; come and play with me!” Then the official giving the orders had us line up single file and walk back to the famous side room. The door shut behind us.

"I was the first in line and saw about 30 CPS workers right ahead of me in a group with others scattered throughout this building. As we stood there, a CPS worker came and stood by each one of us. A man about 5’5” came and stood by me and gave me his name, which I don’t remember. As the CPS official read her next order, about 40 armed policemen came out from behind the famous curtained partitions, and stood on the other side of her. I felt as though I was surrounded by the demons of hell.

"The order said that they had full custody of our children. By this time I started crying; I didn’t care if I was shot down or what. I raised my hand and exclaimed, “I have broken no law!” No flicker in the official’s face, not a word missed; she carried on as if I were not there. I felt as though I was about to pass out, so I knelt on the floor sobbing, holding four packages of animal crackers. I stood back up as she said we were ordered to leave these premises and not return. She said there were two buses waiting outside; one would be going to the compound and the other to a women’s violence shelter.

"My mind was racing about 1000 miles an hour. The man had my arm, taking me out. I thought, “What is the compound? What are these choices they are giving us?” I asked, “Will I see my children if I go to the shelter?” He said, “Most likely.” Brenda nudged me and said, “Marie, we’re going home.” I turned to this man and asked, “If I go home, will I ever see my children again?” He looked at me and stated, “Probably not.”


Naiah Earhart said...

Lest we forget, indeed. All the best to Marie and all the mothers. I pray for them often. I long for the day when this will finally be done and over. Only the Lord knows when...

Disciple said...

Reading this ... just makes me sick ... how could anyone forcibly separate a mother and her children like this? ... Imagining that something like this would happen to me and my family - terrible! ... My heart goes out to the families; I hope that the wounds will quickly heal!